Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv and a tournament

To: paulz@xxxxxxxx, jesdynf <jesdynf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Freeciv and a tournament
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 15:22:47 +0100

> > One of the reasons I never really understood the idea of the metaserver
> > until 1.8 or so was because I couldn't find a single line of source to
> > deal with it. Shouldn't we have the metaserver source in the FreeCiv code
> > tree? Not everybody NEEDS the metaserver, and it probably shouldn't be
> > built by default, but if it was just IN the tree, people might start
> > hacking it.

My plans for the metaserver:

  - make it use HTTP and a CGI script (much more versatile)
  - adjust the UDP-based server to issue HTTP requests
    (for backward compatibility)
  - support various output formats: HTML, plain text, RDF

> > Maybe it oughta go in? Maybe under, say, "make metaserver" or even a
> > special configure flag, "--with-metaserver" so that normally run
> > configures won't even make the Makefiles for the mserver.

Freeciv needs more players.  Having 10 or more different metaservers
would be bad.  I would be against distributing the code with Freeciv.
We went through times when the existing metaserver was down for weeks at
a time.  Thanks to Paul, this is no longer a problem.

--
Reinier Post