Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: More nations

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: pvt.benkovsk@xxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: More nations
From: Jerzy Klek <qpkjeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 16:01:58 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi

> > I think that especially with multiple leaders and european feudal
> > period it will not come nice - what you'll get will be bunch
> > of Charleses, Johns or something like this.
>
> I agree.  BTW I think 'Louis' would be the best name for the French ruler.
>
> > medieval time this was not a problem (they used the latin or french
> > form regardless of country) I guess that using national form
> > would produce more 'colorful' results. Anyway, I bend before the
> > majority vote :-)
>
> My vote is with yours.

So, as I understand, leaders and cities in national languages,
only nation names is English? Good, let it be like this!
Nation names should probably be i18n marked similarily to
unit names... This should be mentioned at the beginning of
the ruleset file.

(Of course, some common sense should be used as well, because
more people know Cheops than Chufu, which is the same guy.
I could even give some more drastic examples of egyptian
or babylonian names - I'd have to look into books. Persian Cyrus
is now transliterated as Kurusz and so on...)

/Jerzy