Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] More nations

To: Jarda Benkovsky <pvt.benkovsk@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] More nations
From: Jerzy Klek <qpkjeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 21:15:29 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi!

Here is my opinion to some of the questions

> I have some questions regarding nations rulesets
>
> leader names, city names
>   what language to use? I use their national (Czech) form, but is it
> right?
>   I don't know the English equivalents in most cases. Since I
>   would have to leave most names as is, I left all of them in Czech
>   to prevent mixing languages. Since they will be mixed with the rest
>   of the game, it is not ideal solution :-(

I think that we should try use English, though some of the
cities do not have English names... Maybe there also should be
national versions of nation.ruleset? (But this is another
matter, but a nice feature).
On the other hand the mixing shouldn't be so visible because we
use latin for Roman civilization and Greek transcription for
Greek and many of Egyptian and Babylonian cities.

>   If we would agree on leaving the names as is, would not it be
>   better to use diacritics  (for latin alphabets :-)) and specify
>   encoding? It could be recoded to iso-latin-1 or ascii 7 for those
>   needing it. On the other way, with proper font you could see accents.
>

> leader scopes
>   which names should/could be used for leaders? Only historical rulers?
>   Their wives? (We had no queen/mrs. president in all our _independent_
> history).

The best known people I think, though real rulers will be
the best. I don't think there should be any affirmative action
here so if you can't think about any woman it's no problem.
(BTW I'm not good at Czech history or legend, but what about
Libusza or similar name? - I may be completely wrong here).

/Jerzy