Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] More nations

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] More nations
From: Jarda Benkovsky <pvt.benkovsk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 20:50:50 +0200

Hi,

I have some questions regarding nations rulesets

leader names, city names
  what language to use? I use their national (Czech) form, but is it
right?
  I don't know the English equivalents in most cases. Since I
  would have to leave most names as is, I left all of them in Czech
  to prevent mixing languages. Since they will be mixed with the rest
  of the game, it is not ideal solution :-(

  If we would agree on leaving the names as is, would not it be
  better to use diacritics  (for latin alphabets :-)) and specify
  encoding? It could be recoded to iso-latin-1 or ascii 7 for those
  needing it. On the other way, with proper font you could see accents.

leader scopes
  which names should/could be used for leaders? Only historical rulers?
  Their wives? (We had no queen/mrs. president in all our _independent_
history).
  Important noblemen / army leaders? Should all the leaders be real?
  I have one which is a mythical person, but said to be the first leader
:-)
  Or what about the famous people? Philosophers, scientists, artists?

BTW, if someone is looking for some leader names, I recommend
http://loupiac.inria.fr/roglo - there's lots of them there.

                                        Regards,
                                        Edheldil