Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: More nations

To: Jerzy Klek <qpkjeek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: More nations
From: Jarda Benkovsky <pvt.benkovsk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 23:18:01 +0200

Jerzy Klek wrote:
> >   what language to use? I use their national (Czech) form, but is it
> > right?
> >   I don't know the English equivalents in most cases. Since I
> >   would have to leave most names as is, I left all of them in Czech
> >   to prevent mixing languages. Since they will be mixed with the rest
> >   of the game, it is not ideal solution :-(
>
> I think that we should try use English, though some of the
> cities do not have English names... Maybe there also should be

I think that especially with multiple leaders and european feudal
period it will not come nice - what you'll get will be bunch
of Charleses, Johns or something like this. Even if in the
medieval time this was not a problem (they used the latin or french
form regardless of country) I guess that using national form
would produce more 'colorful' results. Anyway, I bend before the
majority vote :-)

> national versions of nation.ruleset? (But this is another
> matter, but a nice feature).

If you mean st. like polish version of spanish nation I am afraid
that it would be a pain to translate and maintain, since you would
need people knowing both polish and spanish realia/language.

> > leader scopes
> >   which names should/could be used for leaders? Only historical rulers?
> >   Their wives? (We had no queen/mrs. president in all our _independent_
> > history).
>
> The best known people I think, though real rulers will be
> the best. I don't think there should be any affirmative action
> here so if you can't think about any woman it's no problem.
> (BTW I'm not good at Czech history or legend, but what about
> Libusza or similar name? - I may be completely wrong here).

I have her already. Unfortunately, she's one of the mythical ones :-)
I have some kings' wives too. Will send it as soon as I will
reasonably sort the city names.

                                        Edheldil