Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Inheritance of fields in rulesets

To: abies@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Inheritance of fields in rulesets
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 13:03:19 +1000 (EST)

Artur Biesiadowski wrote:

> I understand that maybe you do not think that it is necessary, but I
> would just feel a lot better, if is same good to you, maybe my way can
> be pursued ? :) Anyway, parser needs major rewrite anyway, to handle
> templates/inheritance so changing few other things is not a problem.

Actually, I don't see that the lowlevel parser would need
to be modified much at all.  Your suggestion was basically
a set of "normal" sections with entries, except that some
meta-information is contained in some of the section names.
Eg:

[unit fighter extends air]

is handled fine by the parser, giving a section with the
name "unit fighter extends air".  Code which uses the registry
is free to parse that name and derive information from it.

-- David