Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Inheritance of fields in rulesets

To: Freeciv Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Inheritance of fields in rulesets
From: Artur Biesiadowski <abies@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 17:24:58 +0200

Jerzy Klek wrote:

> I wonder if it's really needed to i18 mark rulesets. One can
> easily create a separate rulesets in any language and instead of
> using data/defalut you can use data/pl or any directory. It
> seems to be a similar amount of work. In this case you can even
> translate comments (that are not used by the game) which might
> ease the ruleset modification for non-english speakers.

It is needed. Look at amount of data in units.ruleset. Only names are
translated rest is game data. So to translate you need to provide one
time translation of these names and no need to update later. With your
idea of creating entire tranlated files, all changes to game logic have
to migrate to every localized version - a big maintance problem. What it
another change in ruleset format will occur ? With separate tarnslation
file, now work. With your solution, you need to copy english files with
new format and then translate it fully again - even if it is only
copy/pasting strings from old translated ruleset it is a lot of work -
especially for numerous languages.

Artur