Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Adding scripting language

Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Adding scripting language
From: Peter Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 12:13:47 +0200

lduperval@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On 31 Aug, jrb3@xxxxxxxx (Joseph Beckenbach III, CCP) wrote:
> >
> >       There's also TCL, which was written specifically with being embedded
> > in mind.  It's also a stable language, well documented, well supported, and
> > open source, with many people who can teach it and many resources readily
> > available for those who wish to learn it.  There are also well-documented
> > object-oriented extensions which answer the duplication issues, and very
> > well documented and well understood mechanisms to easily extend the
> > underlying
> > TCL language for specific programs.
> >
> >       See http://www.scriptics.com/ for one major entry into TCL cyberspace.
> >

> I second the motion.

I was unable to locate the open source license. And I have seen "open source"
licenses that are worse than slavery (well, maybe not quite).

Also, guile announces that there is a tcl to scheme interface being worked on.

In any case, different scripting languages would probably find the same
kind of hooks and triggers useful as any other scripting language.
So chances are that both tcl and guile would get along faster whenever people
start coding it.

--
Peter Schäfer - mailto:schaefer@xxxxxx, schaefer@xxxxxx
You know things look bad when ..