Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch to add synchronous game turns

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch to add synchronous game turns
From: Gary Moyer <garymoyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 00:00:06 -0700

> Presumably for single-player it also fixes the problem (?) that
> if you disconnect from a running game, currently the AI will
> finish that turn, and it will be the next turn when you re-connect?
> (Although offhand I'm not sure if its an appropriate fix or whether
> that is a different issue.)

Game turn does not advance until the player explicitly ends the turn.

> - Most of the server option vars are stored in the game struct
>   (or map, as appropriate) which I think is probably better?

Good point.  I noticed this.  I can fix this.

> - Most server option values are saved in the savegame, and it
>   would probably make sense here too.  See gamehand.c and make
>   sure to use secfile_lookup_int_default() to load.

Another excellent point -- the game admin noticed this.  I can fix this as well.

> - This should probably be SSET_TO_CLIENT, so clients can see
>   whether the game is "synchronous" or not?

Yep.  I'll fix too.

> - Shouldn't the change be inside check_for_full_turn_done()
>   as suggested by Mikko Tuumanen <mijutu@xxxxxx> (pity about
>   mail archives) instead of around the sniff_packets call?
>   (Adjust whether check .conn there.)

I tried this approach first but it didn't seem to work quite right.  I'll look
at the code again and give more details as to why it doesn't work.

I didn't see the original post concerning this.  Is there a problem with the
mail archives?

Thanks much for the input!

-- Gary