Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch to add synchronous game turns

To: garymoyer@xxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] patch to add synchronous game turns
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 15:14:24 +1000 (EST)

Gary Moyer wrote:

> > Thanks, but could you please follow something approximating
> > normal freeciv indentation style.
>
> Sure.  Although I didn't see any mention of a formal coding style anywhere
> on the website or in the hackers guide.  Could you provide me with any?

Not really, but it would indeed be good to have such...

> Well let me ask this question: does anyone think this option is useful?
> Granted it takes away from the realtime head-to-head play, however it makes
> the game more playable (and fair) for players who can only make a few turns
> in the course of a day.

Yeah, it seems useful, and simple enough that its not likely
to complicate or conflict with other stuff.

Presumably for single-player it also fixes the problem (?) that
if you disconnect from a running game, currently the AI will
finish that turn, and it will be the next turn when you re-connect?
(Although offhand I'm not sure if its an appropriate fix or whether
that is a different issue.)

Some other points:

- Most of the server option vars are stored in the game struct
  (or map, as appropriate) which I think is probably better?

- Most server option values are saved in the savegame, and it
  would probably make sense here too.  See gamehand.c and make
  sure to use secfile_lookup_int_default() to load.

- This should probably be SSET_TO_CLIENT, so clients can see
  whether the game is "synchronous" or not?

- Shouldn't the change be inside check_for_full_turn_done()
  as suggested by Mikko Tuumanen <mijutu@xxxxxx> (pity about
  mail archives) instead of around the sniff_packets call?
  (Adjust whether check .conn there.)

Regards,
-- David