Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] struct government + AI

To: schaefer@xxxxxx (Peter Schaefer)
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] struct government + AI
From: Rizos Sakellariou <rizos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 06:39:57 -0500 (CDT)

> There are two ways I see the current AI would handle this:
>
> A) virtually switch to all governments one after the other,
>    optimize all cities and luxury rates,
>    then choose the best.
> -This is somewhat hard to do today, since it will use quite
>  some cpu time.

I dont follow the list these days, but let me mention briefly
here that i have written a patch that is based on this idea.
It works fine, and its cost is not that high. The AI has shown
a remarkable adaptability to various forms of government.
I made quite a lot of playtesting and in games of 4 AI's with
this patch vs 4 AI's using Republic only the winner was always
an improved AI (BTW, guess what form of government the winning
AI would use most of the times...)

There were a couple of things though that needed refining:
the most important was that the AI now doesn't distinguish
the cause of unhappiness - even if this is caused by military units
outside a city, it tries to build temples and colosseums to treat it -
i had for example to add support for Police Stations...

The second challenge i faced was how to select the "best" government.
After some experimentation i picked up the combined trade+production
sum. However, it is debatable whether this may be better than
a 3/5 trade and 2/5 production for instance.

I am swamped with various things so i won't be able to post the
patch until the 1st week of July. Send me a personal message
if you want to learn more.

--rizos