Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] struct government + AI

To: Peter Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxx>
Cc: Sune Kirkeby <sune@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] struct government + AI
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 11:59:58 -0500

On Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 06:06:47PM +0200, Peter Schaefer wrote:
> There are two ways I see the current AI would handle this:
>
> A) virtually switch to all governments one after the other,
>    optimize all cities and luxury rates,
>    then choose the best.
> -This is somewhat hard to do today, since it will use quite
>  some cpu time.

        This doesn't capture the rules changes regarding Rapture in
cities, etc.
        Also, the turns of Anarchy when switching governments should cause
this to be a very rare thing.

> B) Do like it is now, have the ai have a preference towards
>   certain goverments.
>   IMHO, ai should still prefer REPUBLIC over DEMOCRACY,
>   unless it has built womens suffrage.

        Or unless it is losing units.  The AI should be aware of
military matters in many ways it isn't now.  Democracy protects against
bribes and allows Partisan units.  For a nation on the losing end of a war,
that might turn the tide.  Once again, it's hard to consider these in
calculations about which Government is "better".

        Good arguments can be made for Communism as well, it's Monarchy and
Despotism that suffer in the later game.

> BTW, is it possible to assign an empire size to a government ?
> Empire size as in a modificator to the city factor .. .
>
> There probably should be .. .
> Also ai could then choose a 'best government matching empire size.

        It's possible to use any given information in the calculations.
Right now, the AI researches Republic, changes to that, and stays there.
Even though I've seen that cause units to be disbanded for lack of upkeep,
and massive unhappiness due to units not being in cities.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"When I was young, the sky was filled with stars.