Re: [Freeciv-Dev] A few miscellaneous ideas for improvement

To: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] A few miscellaneous ideas for improvement
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 00:24:23 +0100

Greg Wooledge wrote:

> > Yup.  And more or less any other kind of change.  Lookup up 'terrain
> > improvements' and the individual terrain entries in help.  It takes
> > ages, though, and requires engineers.
>
> I simply pulled numbers out of the air for the timing.  If anyone knows
> how long this actually takes in Civ2, it would be nice to put the real
> numbers in.  (I think I overestimated the time slightly, but I believe
> that's better than underestimating it.)
>
> --
> Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
> wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.
> http://www.kellnet.com/wooledge/ |

*tinkle*  <--- sound of penny dropping.

Greg Wooledge.  That's... GW, as in GWangband, and the randart patch.

Small world.

back to your regularly scheduled freeciv conversations...

The timing of terrain changes seems OK to me.  If anything, the whole
idea seems a bit unbalancing to me.  Maybe they should cost money too
(that would be vaguely realistic - I mean, when was the last time you
saw an industrial nation convert several hundred square miles of salt
swamp to arable farm-land? It must be expensive, or it'd be happening
all over the place)

On an almost entirely unrelated note - if the docs are to be believed,
railroads are only barely useful in freeciv - they only affect squares
with at least 2 resources - which is just coal and mined hills, IIRC.
ISTR that in Civ I, railroads improved trade as well?  I mean, I know
there's a civserver option to make them do whatever, I was jsut
surprised how unuseful they are by default..

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |
|  Julian Bean   | jmlb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx        |  TW9 2TF *UK*       |