Re: [Freeciv-Dev] A few miscellaneous ideas for improvement

To: Daniel Sjolie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] A few miscellaneous ideas for improvement
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 17:58:42 -0500

Daniel Sjolie wrote:

> On 1999-05-07 15:24:45, Jules Bean wrote:
> > B) Micromanagement:
> >
> > In any reasonably large game (e.g. default map size) when you are
> > winning, micromanagement becomes a pain.  This could be alleviated by
> > building a bit more 'helping hand' AI into the client.
>
> I agree...
> I think it would be nice if You were able to define strategies
> in a sense for certain actions...
> You should be able to make cityplans defining what the city
> should build (by assigning priorities) and maybe even what
> tile improvements are prefered in the city region...
>
> You have a number of small 'helping-hand' AI:s for different
> departments of Your empire...
> I'd like to be able to customize these - to follow my orders...
>
> This is something that I might actually take a look at myself...
> I *really* will try to get the time...
>
> What is the status of help AIs like this now?
> I think it would be great if we could define some kind
> of interface for mini AIs like this to make it easier for
> the strategy AI to use...

I don't know whether I'll ever have time to work on it, but I was thinking
the way I would go if I ever got around to building a Client AI would be a
bootstrap process that slowly added AI functionality to an ordinary player
client, phasing out the need for the player as the AI was progressively
implemented.  Such a strategy might also yield some helper features that
could be usefully/optionally incorporated into the official client.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas