Re: [Freeciv-Dev] caravan behavior

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] caravan behavior
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 14:36:20 +1000

Lalo Martins wrote:
> On May 06, David Pfitzner decided to present us with:

> >   for enemy cities there is no need for a popup, because
> > the only thing you can do is make a trade-route right?
>
> No, you may wish to move on/do nothing.

Well, currently you get a popup with "Establish Trade Route"
or "Keep Moving" available, and if you choose "Keep Moving"
you get a message like "You can't attack there".

But there is no actual _need_ for such a popup, right?
The only useful thing you can do is establish a trade
route, and if you didn't want to do that, then you
shouldn't have moved the caravan into the enemy city!
(Its a bit like an "are you sure",  but we don't have
"are you sure" for other things, like "are you sure
want to attack there?" etc.  So given that the popup
is problematic in other ways (when the caravan has some
movement, but insufficient), I would prefer to do away
with it.)

IIRC, in Civ1 if you move a caravan into an enemy city,
it established a trade route without any dialog?

-- David