[Freeciv-Dev] Catching up + Some thoughts - comments sought

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: kris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Catching up + Some thoughts - comments sought
From: Kris Bubendorfer <Kris.Bubendorfer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:45:19 +1300

Hi all,

I've been rather quiet lately, due to PhD pressure.  However, I want to catch
up on the state of play - hence this long email.

1.  There was some talk about making the civil war random rather than
absolute.  Has anything happened over this?  It certainly was my intention
when I wrote the civil war code that there be a `chance' component (ala civ2)
- but the code was complicated enough, so I left it out at that point.  So to
ask again, has this been changed?  If not, I am happy to do it - and I prefer
the following ideas:

  - Some governments are more susceptible than others, say.

        Anarchy         90%
        Despotism       80%
        Monarchy        70%
        Fundamentalism  60% (In case it gets implemented one day)
        Communism       50%
        Republic        40%
        Democracy       30%

  - Each city in revolt adds 5%, each city in rapture subtracts 5%

Unless someone can out exactly how civ1 and 2 do this, the above seems like a
reasonable approximation.  Comments sought...

--

2.  I also always intended to make spies and diplomats have different counter
espionage abilities when I wrote the spy code.  However that didn't happen

So, how about Spy vs Diplomat giving a 50% greater chance to the Spy.  If the
comments are favorable I'll write a patch.

--

3.  Still on spies and diplomats - Whoever changed the AI to build them needs
to look at the algorithm priorities again.  In my first game in ages against

--

4.  Another project I had in mind when I did the tradecities stuff.  You may
have noticed that in Civ2, you can gift/trade units.  Think of the advantages,

I still want to add this, but seek objections first.

This is how I propose it will work.

        - If the unit is in the field, make the closest of the recipients
cities the
home, the unit stays in place.

        - If the unit is in a city, it will be teleported to the nearest of the
recipients cities.

I realise that people hate teleporting, but Civ does it.  Later on when the
alliance code from Falk and Paul is in, the gifted unit could remain in the
original city - providing there was a treaty in place.

--

5.  Anyone want to change the AI to use the diplomats aggressively (for the
higher levels)?  I'm scared of the AI code, but a recent game of Civ2 reminds

--

6.  I was looking at the authors file in the CVS.  There are coders for 1.8,
and a exclusive list of those past contributers.  I've been writing patches

I realise the information IS in the change log, however it is often hard to
spot who is the primary implementor of stuff.  For example John Stonebraker ==
AI, Me == Spies etc, Mitch == capabilities etc...

Finally ---

We all deserve a pat on the back as far as I'm concerned.  That recent game of
Civ2 reminds me how far we've come since 1.5.2.  I personally found freeciv
way more playable and consequently more enjoyable.  Especially the goto-click
and being able to change research etc...

--

Cheers Kris...