Re: [Freeciv-Dev] qt-Freeciv client !

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] qt-Freeciv client !
From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 00:30:14 -0300

On Feb 22, Trent Piepho decided to present us with:

> This doesn't make any sense to me.  There are GPLed programs which use the
> Motif library.  Motif is quite a bit less free than Qt, since you can't even
> get source or a shared library.  By this reasoning, GPLed programs that
> use Motif are disallowed by the GPL, but many exist.

_You_ can write a GPLed program linked with Motif, Qt, Xforms,
whatever. If you want other people to distribute binaries, it
would be polite to add an exception to the license allowing it
to be linked with the lib you use; but even if you don't, it's
your code, you may link it with whatever you want, distribute
binaries and source (but other people can only legally
distribute source).

OTOH, you can _not_ take other person's GPLed code and link it
with Motif, Qt, Xforms, whatever.

> Even motif aside, the C library on most/all non-GNU systems is completely
> un-free.  When you compile Freeciv on a Sun, you are using non-free headers
> and a non-free C library.

This is a separate point, already replied.

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----
                 Resistance is futile.