Re: [Freeciv-Dev] qt-Freeciv client !

To: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] qt-Freeciv client !
From: Trent Piepho <xyzzy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 18:48:16 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> These two facts are what lead to the fundamental incompatibility between
> the two licenses.  Section 6 of the GPL says:
>
>       6. Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on the
>     Program), the recipient automatically receives a license from the
>     original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Program subject to
>     these terms and conditions.  You may not impose any further
>     restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein.
>
> The restriction on distributing modified copies of the Qt library is,
> from the point of view of the GPL, a "further restriction", and is thus
> explicitly disallowed by the GPL.

This doesn't make any sense to me.  There are GPLed programs which use the
Motif library.  Motif is quite a bit less free than Qt, since you can't even
get source or a shared library.  By this reasoning, GPLed programs that
use Motif are disallowed by the GPL, but many exist.

Even motif aside, the C library on most/all non-GNU systems is completely
un-free.  When you compile Freeciv on a Sun, you are using non-free headers
and a non-free C library.