Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Fundamentalism patch.

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Fundamentalism patch.
From: Per Mathisen <permath@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:39:49 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Nicolas BRUNEL wrote:
> A new type of goverment will be nice.

I think upgrading or replacing the "Communism" government is a better
option. Is there anyone who actually ever uses it? Having one govt that is
so bad that nobody uses it, and adding a new one that is so good everybody
have to switch to it, is a bad idea, IMHO.

Yes, I think Fundamentalism is simply too powerful. Maybe there is a
reason it has not been implemented in freeciv before.

In civ2 I usually go for Democracy until I have engineers and tanks, then
switch for Fundamentalism to swarm over the enemy with endless ranks of
tanks and fundamentalists. Research suffers at the beginning, but speeds
up again once I convert all the entertainers to scientists, and I start
buying Library/University/Research Lab/wonders with the limitless supply
of gold Fundamentalism gives me.

> I never played civ2 but one friend of me told me that temples and
> cathedrals gives you money instead of costing money !

Not "instead of", I think, but "in addition to". They give you one gold
per happy/content person that they would otherwise convert.

> It makes the michel angelo chapel even more powerfull.

It makes it way too powerful.

> Are they also immuned to diplomats as for a democracy ?

You mean immune to bribery? No, they are not.

Yours,
Per