Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
[Freeciv-Dev] helpdata.txt patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] helpdata.txt patch
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:06:05 -0500

This patch does some revision on the helpdata.txt file.  I've
standardized the capitalization of many words (Wonder->wonder,
factory->Factory, etc.), removed trailing white space, cleaned up some
minor grammar/phrasing problems, and added a couple comments based on
my new Civ2 experience[1].  More importantly, I've standardized some
terminology:

  * I've used the terms "food production", "shield production",
    "science production", "tax production" and "luxury production" to
    refer to the output of cities.

  * I've used the terms "food resource", "shield resource" and "trade
    resource" to refer to what's harvested from squares around a city.

  * I've used the term "shields" to refer to shield resources, rather
    than the more ambiguous "production"; I've also used "shields" (or
    kept the phrase "production shields") in the government help to
    indicate unit upkeep costs.

The only change I didn't make in terms of standardization is to
reconcile the American and British spellings of certain words
(particularly "defense"/"defence").  The "Coastal Defense" stanza is a
rather glaring example of the need for this, but I didn't want to try
to make that call....

I've reduced context to 1 line on this patch, and gzipped it, because
it's a big patch relative to the helpdata.txt file -- I've touched a
great number of lines, although in most cases the extent of the changes
is rather small.

[1]I picked up a copy for Christmas and so far I've won 1 game on
Prince level.  Freeciv prepared me quite well for everything except
Fundamentalism and Paratroopers, which are *evil*. :-)