Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Fundamentalism patch.

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Fundamentalism patch.
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 18:54:00 -0500

Nicolas BRUNEL (brunel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> A new type of goverment will be nice.
> I never played civ2 but one friend of me told me that temples and
> cathedrals gives you money instead of costing money !

That's Fundamentalism.  I believe it's overpowered in Civ2.  Here's what
the manual says about it:

  "Attitude: Under Fundamentalism, no citizen is ever unhappy! Improvements
   that normally convert unhappy citizens to content citizens produce
   'tithes' (gold) equivalent to the number of people they would normally
   convert, and require no maintenance.

   Corruption & Waste: Fundamentalism has very low rates of corruption and
   waste.

   Resource Support: Because of your people's zeal, each city can support
   ten military units at no cost to you. Settlers eat two food per turn.
   Only fundamentalists can build Fanatic units, which never require
   support.

   Special Conditions: Under Fundamentalism, tax/luxury/science rates cannot
   be set higher than 80 percent. In addition, the rigidity of mindset and
   emphasis on doctrine means that all scientific research is HALVED. The
   diplomatic penalties for 'terrorist acts' (such as bombing city
   improvements, poisoning wells, and so forth) committed by Diplomats and
   Spies is reduced, since the world comes to expect no better."

I cannot figure out how they managed to ship the game with this form of
government so dramatically more powerful than anything else out there.
I would at least raise the corruption rate.  Have you ever heard of a
large pseudo-religious organization that's *not* corrupt? ;-)

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.