Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] freeciv/debian in dist?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] freeciv/debian in dist?
From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 08:40:10 -0200

On Nov 30, Nicolas BRUNEL decided to present us with:
> Hello,
>
> I have debian and i don't use freeciv/debian.
> Is anyone except Lalo use this directory ?

Yes, lots of peple. By using a .deb package you get entries in
Debian's nice Menu system, you get easily deinstallation (not
that someone whoud want to deinstall something as great as
FreeCiv and you get something easier for newbies (who don't have
do compile the stuff, just dpkg -i freeciv_x.xx.xx.deb).

Also, if you use xaw3d, xaw95 or nextaw (or some other aw
variant) a home-made binary _won't_ work unless you twiddle some
rather obscure config file by hand.

Debian is about integrating software and making them work
together. Not about stuffing lots of programs in a CD/site.

Now with my new Debian stuff in CVS (debian/* and build.debian)
even folks that fetch from CVS can get .debs. With correct
version numbers and all. So getting better to you question:

> I have debian and i don't use freeciv/debian.

You should try and check the difference. Open debian's menu
(hope you know where it is in you WM, but on most of them you
can get it by clinking one of the mouse buttons on the root
window) the go to Games->Strategy.

Install nextaw (which r0x) and continue playing FreeCiv.

Have use of the Bug Tracking System ( http://www.debian.org/Bugs ).

Have access to a large support database - mail lists, IRC, etc.

Sorry If I'm a bit harsh or advertising, but I have strong
feelings on that matter. Or I wouldn't be a maintainer.

> Is anyone except Lalo use this directory ?

Hundreds. Perhaps more than are on this list. Of course most of
them just get a precompiled packag from a CD-rom, but it's still
a number.

[]s,
                                               +----
--
     And the sign said the words of the prophets
 are written on the subway walls and tenement halls