Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] freeciv/debian in dist?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] freeciv/debian in dist?
From: Per Mathisen <permath@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 15:41:19 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 28 Nov 1998, Mitch Davis wrote:
> Lalo and I have been discussing a procedural problem we have,
> where we have two changelogs:  The Freeciv one, and the Debian
> one.  He says I should send him the Freeciv changelog "a few days
> before the release" so he can merge it into the Debian one.
> So what does this mean for the debian files?  Well personally,
> I think the files in the debian dir are useless to anyone other
> than a Debian user.

I just a few questions...

The man pages, why are they in debian/ (other than historic reasons)? I
think they should be installed by "make install". (Maybe they are - I
cannot verify this right now, but it does not look like it from the
Makefile source.)

In other sourceware projects, I believe packaging information is
often distributed with the tarballs, since some users like to turn
them into packages prior to installation for easy uninstall and system
audit. Samba, for instance, includes packaging information for lots of
systems in the tarballs, and it has never bothered me since it is only a
few kbs anyway.

The redhat spec file, why is it not in cvs? I think it should be, and
preferably in the tarballs too, so that I can install the game as an
RPM.

On the changelog issue, I think that it would be better for users if there
are both RPMs and DEBs ready when the announcement for a new version hits
the streets. Users who follow freshmeat links download what is available,
and I think we would gain more than we would lose from having a just a few
more days delay in getting a new release out so that the maintainers can
create their packages.

Well, this is all IMHO, and I probably do not even understand the issue
since I have never used Debian.

Yours,
Per