Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
[Freeciv-Dev] freeciv/debian in dist?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] freeciv/debian in dist?
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 22:45:33 +1100

Hi freeciv people,

I'm wondering whether we should include the freeciv/debian cvs directory
in the freeciv distribution, in terms of the official release tar.gz?
(Note that not everything in cvs is included in the release; I assume
the release is done by "make dist" or similar.)

Now that Lalo is maintaining the cvs freeciv/debian directory, this
could be useful for Debian users, as it allows them to build their
own local Debian package.  Currently Debian users who get freeciv by cvs
can do this, but not those who get the tar distrib.

freeciv/debian doesn't add many kilobytes, but one minor hassle I thought
of is that the straightforward way of including it would mean that "make"
would Decend into the debian directory every time it is run in the top
freeciv directory, even though there is nothing for it to do there.
(As currently happens with the data directory -- and I assume will happen
with data/units when the units.xpm is split up?)

One could argue that its not really necessary to include freeciv/debian,
because people who get the release tarball could instead get the equivalent
offical debian package (which we could provide on the freeciv pages if
we wanted, though the debian mirrors are probably more practical).
And those who get CVS freeciv get the freeciv/debian anyway; and I just
checked, and the autogenerated "latest" cvs snapshot tarballs/diffs include
all the cvs files, including the debian ones.

Opinions?

-- David