Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] freeciv/debian in dist?

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] freeciv/debian in dist?
From: Mitch Davis <mjd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 00:34:07 +1100

David Pfitzner wrote:

> Hi freeciv people,
>
> I'm wondering whether we should include the freeciv/debian cvs directory
> in the freeciv distribution, in terms of the official release tar.gz?

> Now that Lalo is maintaining the cvs freeciv/debian directory, this
> could be useful for Debian users, as it allows them to build their
> own local Debian package.

> Opinions?

Now this is just my two-cents worth, but I have a rather heretical
point of view.

Lalo and I have been discussing a procedural problem we have,
where we have two changelogs:  The Freeciv one, and the Debian
one.  He says I should send him the Freeciv changelog "a few days
before the release" so he can merge it into the Debian one.
He says that if he can get this, then there is no need to
distribute a patchset against the original to "debianise" it.

But that's a bit of a bother, because doing the ChangeLog file
is pretty much the last thing I do before I tar the whole lot up.
Waiting around for a few days is going to be a real pain.

So either he's inconvenienced, or I am.  And at this stage,
I'm thinking I'd rather get the product out the way we have
before, and let poor Lalo worry about Debianising it.  Surely
we aren't the only project in this situation?  I was more or
less happy to put the debian files in in the beginning, because
it wasn't trouble.  I persisted through the rumblings from the
Debian crowd about version numbering, because I thought they
had some good points.  But now we're have release procedure
dictated to us, all in the name of not having a debianizing
patch.  I don't think it would be a great crime to have this
patch:  I think many other projects would have it as well,
and it means we don't have to worry about extra stuff at release
time.

So what does this mean for the debian files?  Well personally,
I think the files in the debian dir are useless to anyone other
than a Debian user.  And if we've conceded that Debian users have
to have a patch anyway, then why not have ALL the debian files
in the patch, and our release be debian-dir free?

In other words, the debian dir would still be under CVS, but
would not be included in the release.  Let long-suffering Lalo
work all that stuff out.

Anyway, there it is.  Sorry I haven't been more gentle.  It's
past my bedtime, and I'm still at work.

Lalo, forgive me if this miffs you.  I'm not trying to be
difficult, I'm just trying to make our release process as easy
as possible, so we can get better releases out, sooner.

As usual, I welcome comments.

Mitch.
--
| mailto:mjd@xxxxxxxxxx       | Not the official view of: |