Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Diplomat/Spy Patch

To: Kris.Bubendorfer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Diplomat/Spy Patch
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 21:23:56 +1100

Kris Bubendorfer wrote:

> Well after dragging my feet for a long time, here is a patch that fixes a
> couple of problems with the spy/diplomat code.
>
> 1.  You now no longer get the the spy/diplomat menus if you have insufficient
> moves to complete.

Good.
Was there any consensus about whether it _should_ cost the the full
terrain movement cost to do diplo/spy actions against a square?
(Makes it quite difficult to do effective diplo actions against units or
cities in hills/mountains, but with the usefulness of diplomats and spys,
maybe thats not a bad thing...)

Back in August Kris suggested:

%> I guess the idea is:
%>
%>   if(punit->moves_left >= 3 || punit->moves_left >= map->move_cost(..))
%>     do action;
%>
%> That way, if there is a full move left (3) OR we have enough pts to move
into
%> that square, then we can do the action.

Which I would be happy with.

Also, again from August, Kris noticed:

%> Found something interesting yesterday.  Spies and Diplomats can operate from
%> boat.
%>
%> Does anyone know if this is correct behaviour.  I don't remember it in Civ2,
%> but I don't have the inclination to check at the moment.  Anyway seems like
%> huge advantage.

I would suggest they _shouldn't_ operate from boats.
(Unless someone makes a customized unit which has both F_MARINE and F_SPY :-)

(But the patch itself looked ok to me, and the above issues can be
addressed later.)

-- David