Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Diplomat/Spy Patch

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: kris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Diplomat/Spy Patch
From: Kris Bubendorfer <Kris.Bubendorfer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 08:32:27 +1300

> Was there any consensus about whether it _should_ cost the the full
> terrain movement cost to do diplo/spy actions against a square?
> (Makes it quite difficult to do effective diplo actions against units or
> cities in hills/mountains, but with the usefulness of diplomats and spys,
> maybe thats not a bad thing...)

I agree, which is why I left the full terrain cost in at present.  I
personally like the idea of having the spies crippled a little - and it is
only a bit more effort to protect them with a defensive unit outside a hill
city, over one turn.  Somehow this seems more realistic.

> Back in August Kris suggested:
>
> %> I guess the idea is:
> %>
> %>   if(punit->moves_left >= 3 || punit->moves_left >= map->move_cost(..))
> %>     do action;
> %>
> %> That way, if there is a full move left (3) OR we have enough pts to move
> into
> %> that square, then we can do the action.

Other comments requested on this, I now prefer to avoid this alteration for
the play-ability reasons I've just stressed.

> Also, again from August, Kris noticed:
>
> %> Found something interesting yesterday.  Spies and Diplomats can operate
> from a
> %> boat.
> %>
> %> Does anyone know if this is correct behaviour.  I don't remember it in
> Civ2,
> %> but I don't have the inclination to check at the moment.  Anyway seems
> like a
> %> huge advantage.
>
> I would suggest they _shouldn't_ operate from boats.
> (Unless someone makes a customized unit which has both F_MARINE and F_SPY :-)

Everyone agreed active spies from boats should go?  I do.  David does...

--

Cheers Kris...