Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Cheap aifill bug

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Cheap aifill bug
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 13:39:26 +1100

Sam Holden wrote:

> As long as you start them with sufficient technology (I recall Civ1 claiming
> that it gave a replacement somewhere near the avergae number of techs amongst
> the current civilisations...
>
> If you were going to do that it might be worthwhile starting them with a few
> cities or at least settlers. Freeciv seems to develop faster than Civ and thus
> a bit extra might be needed to make the new civilisation any more than extra
> free huts to take...

Yeah, starting them with more initial units, initial techs, initial gold,
etc, would seem a reasonable option.

John Goerzen wrote:

> This has some disadvantages.  The chief one is placement.  How is a
> good spot determined?  What if one particular player has already
> explored the map where the new one is added?  This existing player
> then has a distinct advantage not only over the new player but over
> other players as well.  There are other potential problems as well.

Yeah, those would be issues to be addressed by anyone who wants to
implement this, and then for players (/server operators) to take
into account when deciding whether to use this feature.

-- David