Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1998:
Re: adding races later on (was: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Cheap aifill bug)

To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: adding races later on (was: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Cheap aifill bug)
From: Greg Wooledge <wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 18:02:21 -0500

Reinier Post (rp@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> But Civ I already does it!  I think the algorithm is to
> replace every deceased civilization with a new one until 1AD.
> (I don't now about Civ II.)

In Civ1, the civilizations are color-coded.  There are exactly 2 civs
of each color -- for example, both the French and the Germans are blue,
and both the Indians and Mongols are gray, etc.

If a civilization of a given color (say, the gray Mongols) is wiped
out, the other civilization of that color will be created to replace it
(in this case, the gray Indians).

There can never be more than one civilization of each color at any
given moment.  (The French can never fight the Germans.)

I believe there is a date limit after which no new civs will be created,
but I don't know what it is.  Your date (A.D. 1) may be correct.

--
"Daddy, why do those people have to    |   Greg Wooledge
  use Microsoft Windows?"              |   wooledge@xxxxxxxxxxx