Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1998:
adding races later on (was: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Cheap aifill bug)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: adding races later on (was: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Cheap aifill bug)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 10:18:02 +0100

> This has some disadvantages.  The chief one is placement.  How is a
> good spot determined?  What if one particular player has already
> explored the map where the new one is added?  This existing player
> then has a distinct advantage not only over the new player but over
> other players as well.  There are other potential problems as well.

But Civ I already does it!  I think the algorithm is to
replace every deceased civilization with a new one until 1AD.
(I don't now about Civ II.)

It's easy to keep record of all explored terrain and use it in the
placement algorithm.

Also, when it is possible to create new races while the game is running,
it will be easy to add barbarians.

--
Reinier Post