Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1998:
[Freeciv-Dev] Cheap aifill bug

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Cheap aifill bug
From: Michael Hohensee <mah248@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 15:42:50 -0500

When loading a saved game, it is possible to set aifill to a number
greater than the number of players in the saved game before the game
starts.  When you start the game, everything looks hunky-dory until you
hit the turn-done button, at which point the game segvs.

Example:

Start new game.  Play solitare a while.  Save game.  Quit server
Load saved game.  Set aifill to 2.  Connect with client.
Start game.  Hit turndone.  Watch the segv. :)

Now, this kind of action is obviously somewhat stupid.  After all, you
shouldn't try to add new players to a game which has already started.
But if that's the case, then aifill shouldn't be adjustable from a saved
game.

Actually, it might be interesting if we could add new players to a
fairly young game.  Perhaps we could dump the ai in a place which no one
has ever gone near, and give it X amount of free turns to catch up, with
the condition that it not modify the state of any existing empires.

Is the AI code designed in such a fashion that this could be
accomplished?  (i.e.  is it able to develop happily in a vacuum?)

Michael Hohensee