Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: space race patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: space race patch
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 13:52:50 +1100

I wrote:

> The main problem is that game.spacerace never gets set in the client,
> so the client doesn't know you should be able to build space bits.
> (The fields in the game struct only get set in the client if they
> are explicitly communicated from the server.)  In this case I'm not
> sure what the best way of doing this is... (notice the client
> needs to get if before it calls set_civ_style().)

Actually, I think "spacerace" needs to be in the capability string,
probably as a "+" entry, since its a bit unfair for someone to join
a spacerace game with a non-space-race client and have other people
build spaceships!

(You could contemplate having it as a non"+" capability, and
only check the capability if (game.spacerace), but that gets
complicated because the value of game.spacerace may not be known
correctly at connection-time.  Also non"+" entries really need
per-client capability strings in the server to be useful.)

-- David