Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: space race patch

To: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: space race patch
From: Mitch Davis <mjd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 14:29:10 +1100

David Pfitzner wrote:

> Actually, I think "spacerace" needs to be in the capability string,
> probably as a "+" entry, since its a bit unfair for someone to join
> a spacerace game with a non-space-race client and have other people
> build spaceships!

Well, they could always conquer the world!! :-)

But seriously, I think you're right.

> Also non"+" entries really need
> per-client capability strings in the server to be useful.)

This is a major weakness of the current capability code.  At the
moment, the server can only find out about the capabilities of the
most recently connected client!! :-(
In my opinion, the game struct should have the capability in it,
and the capability string should be saved with the game.  Then
when it's reloaded, the server can check to see whether the
potential client is capable of handling the features that the
previous client had.

Regards,

Mitch.
--