Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 1998:
Re: [Freeciv-Dev] capabilities, was Re: space race patch

To: Mitch Davis <mjd@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv-Dev] capabilities, was Re: space race patch
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 16:16:37 +1100

(The topic of this thread is changing too quickly for the
subject line to keep up! :-7

Mitch Davis wrote:

> > [2] Hmm, that means the new PRNG should really be in server/ rather
> > than common/ ?  I guess you don't really want the client to use the
> > PRNG anyway because it won't be initialized properly...
>
> I'm also thinking of the potential situation someone raised,
> that if a client knows the seed, it can replicate the "random"
> actions that happen on the server, ahead of time if need be.

Indeed, that's one benefit of the most recent patch of mine which
included Cedric's PRNG, which doesn't show the seeds when the client
requests "Report server options".

(Apart from that dialog, the client doesn't actually know the
seeds despite the fact that they are in common (in game.randseed
etc), because even values in common/ are only really "in common" if
they are specifically communicated.  Confusing, yes :-/
(Full circle back to the game.spacerace problem, really...)

> One way of avoiding this would be not to reveal the seed to
> the client, but give the client random numbers if it asks
> for them.  Alternatively, just give the client _a_ seed, but
> not the server seed, or anyone else's seed.

Yes, if the client ever wants random numbers.  Should it ever?

> BTW, anyone notice just how much _faster_ the new lists are!! :-)

Yep, and another good thing is that the archives mean anyone who's
slow to join the new lists can catch up!

-- David