Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: May 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: Russian.ruleset

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: Russian.ruleset
From: Eduardo M Kalinowski <ekalin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 09:09:40 -0300

Thanasis Kinias wrote:

>I know.  I was just dreaming (I happen to read Cyrillic, Greek, and
>Arabic scripts, so I think it would be neat--but I'm sure I won't
>convince any developers to write BIDI stuff for a game like this).
>Adopting a uniform transliteration system is, of course, much more
>prudent.  I haven't looked at the Arabic yet, BTW; that's my next
>project.

I'd suggest two sets of city names: one "original name", as it's written
in the country. This would have names in Cyrillic, Greek, Japanese,
etc., and a "translitered name" using only ISO-8859-1 characters (but
probably encoded in UTF-8).

Going further, the other suggestion could be adopted: the rulesets could
have only the original name, and gettext could somehow be used to
translate the names into the language that the player is using, so that
in Russian one would see "Москва" (no translation in this case), in
english "Moscow", in Portuguese "Moscou", and so on... And the same for
all other countries.

If that were adopted, it would require lots of works, but it would
certainly be nice. Internally, the original city names should always be
used.

--
Eduardo M Kalinowski
ekalin@xxxxxxxxxx -- **Novo e-mail** **New e-mail**