Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: May 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: Cities in rulesets

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: Cities in rulesets
From: Miguel Farah <miguel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 11:05:23 -0400

 Thanasis Kinias [30/04/2002 10:01] dijo/said:

>scripsit Reinier Post:
>
>> Another rule of thumb that emerged is this: when a nation appears to
>> be a modern state, its cities must be part of that state today.
>
>Ouch.  One quickly gets into very, very complicated territory there.  I
>certainly don't want to be the one to make the call on whether Jerusalem
>gets to go in the Israeli or Philistine (==Palestinian) ruleset, or who
>gets Sarajevo.
>
>That having been said, I can appreciate the desire to avoid
>duplicatation.

OTOH, there is the problem of "regional" rulesets. For example,
spanish.ruleset contains several cities that are also present in
catalan.ruleset (Catalunya being a region of Spain, and having a
movement for independence). When I re-did spanish.ruleset and modified
catalan.ruleset, I had to take into account both sides of the problem:
those people who consider Catalunya as part of Spain and don't want to
lose important cities as Barcelona, Girona, et cetera in their ruleset,
and those who want to have those cities only in catalan.ruleset.

My solution was to use the smaller towns (, for example) only in
catalan.ruleset, and use the spanish/catalan spelling in the respective
ruleset for cities that would be in both (Lérida/Lleida, Gerona/Girona,
etc.). This minimizes the conflict but doesn't eliminate it, since there
are cities that have the same spelling (Barcelona, Tarragona, Reus,
etc.).