Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: May 2002:
[freeciv-data] Re: Lord of the Rings

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: Lord of the Rings
From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <bdbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 01:41:47 -0600

On 2002.05.01 00:51:04 -0600 Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> There was lots of discussions about modpacking a year ago. Please tell
> me what you have in mind here.

The two main things that I would like to see first are:

1) Flexible calendaring, allowing a modpack to specify arbitrary start
and end dates, plus arbitrary specification of "epochs" (where an
"epoch" is a range of turns that increment the date by a specified
number of years).

2) A lock-out mechanism that will allow a modpack to limit technologies
to certain sides (e.g., so you could keeps Dwarven kingdoms from
researching Elvish technology that would let them build Elvish
Archers).  This could be implemented in various ways, depending on how
complex you wanted it to be.

I'll be happy to write more about either of these, but let's see what
other basic ideas come up before we get too bogged down discussing the
details of any of them.  It may be that other people have suggestions
that should be addressed before mine are.  If we get a wish list and
someone indicates that they would like to implement something on the
list, then we should discuss that something in more detail.  (Maybe
even set up an RFC system?)

Thanks,
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

p.s. - It might also be worth thinking about the relationship of
scenarios and modpacks.  IMO we will ultimately want a system where we
can publish scenarios that inherit the general properties of some
specific modpack and then specify some more information to add to or
override what the modpack specifies.  Even if we don't want to start
implementing such a system now, it might be nice to keep it in mind
while designing enhanced modpack support, to lay a good foundation for
future work on modpack-dependent scenarios.