Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: August 2000:
[freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sail River: Next Step

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sail River: Next Step
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:20:56 +0200

Reinier Post wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 08:30:14PM +0200, Erik Sigra wrote:
>
> [early tech tree]
>
> This is great!  I spent some thought on this but never worked it out
> the way you did.  There is room for more: Drawing, Symbolism, Language,
> Counting, Controlled Fire, Bookkeeping ...

I was thinking like that for a while to. I thought of a "Primitive" age
before the nomadic age, with techs like

Awareness of Death-+-Theories of Afterlife-+-Basic Religion (followed by
Organized Religion in the nomadic age)

Oral Language-+-Oral Tradition-+-(then nomadic techs)

But then I dropped it out because it was to basic. Thoose things were
present in species before our species (Homo Sapiens) or they were some
of the very first things that Homo Sapiens developed. I wanted to limit
the scope of the simulation to people who are essentially biologically
similar to the humans living now. I thought it would be too much to add
techs like "Upright Walking", "Sparse Hairing" and a "Neanderthal"
nation. Were would it start then, perhaps tech: "Mammary Glands",
"Placenta", or even "Living on Land"!

> Your descriptions make me eager to play them!

Yes. Me too. But we would

> Reinier

Erik