Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-data: August 2000:
[freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sail River: Next Step

To: freeciv-data@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-data] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sail River: Next Step
From: Erik Sigra <freeciv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 22:19:42 +0200

Erik Sigra wrote:

> Robert Brady wrote:

> > > So, what tech? Bridge-building? Masonry?
> >
> > Road-building? See a prototype of the start of a new techtree at
> > <http://www.wholehog.fsnet.co.uk/robert//techs.ruleset>

> [advance_fire]
> name     = _("Fire")
> req1     = "None"
> req2     = "None"
> flags    = ""

I think my version of this has a better name. And it has helptext +
historytext.

> [advance_stonework]
> name     = _("Stonework")
> req1     = "None"
> req2     = "None"
> flags    = ""

Questionable. Maybe too early. If included, it should be a req of fire
making. Early humans probably used tools of stone and wood to make fire.

> [advance_woodwork]
> name     = _("Woodwork")
> req1     = "Stonework"
> req2     = "None"
> flags    = ""

Questionable. Maybe too early. If included, it should be a req of fire
making. Early humans probably used tools of stone and wood to make fire.

> [advance_mythology]
> name     = _("Mythology")
> req1     = "None"
> req2     = "None"
> flags    = ""

Questionable. Maybe too early. See my helptext under organized religion.

> [advance_hunting]
> name     = _("Hunting")
> req1     = "Woodwork"
> req2     = "Stonework"
> flags    = ""

I strongly suggest we leave this one out. Even spiders hunt. And they
certainly have no "Stonework". I strongly believe humans hunted before
they had stonework. At least, I have seen (TV) other primates hunt even
before they left the trees.

> [advance_rope]
> name     = _("Ropemaking")
> req1     = "Stonework"
> req2     = "None"
> flags    = ""

Good one! It should increas hunting efficiency.

> [advance_bows]
> name     = _("Archery")
> req1     = "Rope"
> req2     = "Woodwork"
> flags    = ""

I have that one too. Your req1 is good.

> [advance_cooking]
> name     = _("Cooking")
> req1     = "Fire"
> req2     = "None"
> flags    = ""

Good one! Would definitely be nomadic.

> [advance_art]
> name     = _("Art")
> req1     = "None"
> req2     = "None"
> flags    = ""

Questionable. Maybe too early. Huminoids earlier than our species may
have done art. See my helptext under organized religion.

> [advance_writing]
> name     = _("Writing")
> req1     = "Art"
> req2     = "None"
> flags    = ""

I have that one too. And a short helptext.

> [advance_religion]
> name     = _("Religion")
> req1     = "Mythology"
> req2     = "None"
> flags    = ""

Questionable. Maybe too early. See my helptext under organized religion.

> [advance_literacy]
> name     = _("Literacy")
> req1     = "Writing"
> req2     = "None"
> flags    = ""

OK (payciv)

> [advance_philosophy]
> name     = _("Philosophy")
> req1     = "Literacy"
> req2     = "Religion"
> flags    = ""

Good (payciv)

> [advance_literature]
> name     = _("Literature")
> req1     = "Mythology"
> req2     = "Writing"
> flags    = ""

Good one!

> [advance_orgreligion]
> name     = _("Organized Religion")
> req1     = "Literature"
> req2     = "Philosophy"
> flags    = ""

I have that one too, with helptext and historytext, but it refers to
something earlier.

> [advance_astronomy]
> name     = _("Astronomy")
> req1     = "Religion"
> req2     = "None"
> flags    = ""

I have that one too but other req.

> [advance_torches]
> name     = _("Torches")
> req1     = "Woodworking"
> req2     = "Fire"
> flags    = ""

Good one! (Although I had to look it up in my Englis-Swedish
dictionary.) This would definitely be nomadic.

> [advance_pottery]
> name     = _("Pottery")
> req1     = "Fire"
> req2     = "Stoneworking"
> flags    = ""

Good (payciv)

> [advance_preservation]
> name     = _("Food Preservation")
> req1     = "Cooking"
> req2     = "Pottery"
> flags    = ""

Good one!

> [advance_domestication]
> name    = _("Animal Domestication")
> req1    = "Hunting"
> req2    = "Rope"
> flags   = ""

I have this too. The req rope is good.

> [advance_mining]
> name     = _("Mining")
> req1     = "Food Preservation"
> req2     = "Torches"
> flags    = ""

Good one!

> [advance_copper]
> name     = _("Copper")
> req1     = "Fire"
> req2     = "Stoneworking"
> flags    = ""

Good one!

> [advance_bronze]
> name     = _("Bronze")
> req1     = "Mining"
> req2     = "Copper"
> flags    = ""

Good one!

> [advance_coal]
> name     = _("Coal")
> req1     = "Mining"
> req2     = "None"
> flags    = ""

Good one! Keep adding elements and alloys. Then we will get a huge tech
tree :-)

> [advance_metalworking]
> name     = _("Metalworking")
> req1     = "Copper"
> req2     = "None"
> flags    = ""

Superflous. Can be left out if we have bronze.

> [advance_compass]
> name     = _("Compass")
> req1     = "Metalworking"
> req2     = "None"
> flags    = ""

Good one!

> [advance_tools]
> name     = _("Tools")
> req1     = "Metalworking"
> req2     = "Woodworking"
> flags    = ""

Call it Metal Tools to be clearer.

> [advance_agriculture]
> name     = _("Agriculture")
> req1     = "Tools"
> req2     = "Animal Domestication"
> flags    = ""

I have this one too. But it shouldn't require Tools, wich in turn
require a lot of early metal techs. Nor should it require Animal
Domestication. Early humans could beat-burn without metal tools or
animals. Although I agree that Tools should improve farming somehow.

> [advance_glassworking]
> name     = _("Glassworking")
> req1     = "Coalmining"
> req2     = "Tools"
> flags    = ""

Good one!

> [advance_carpentry]
> name     = _("Carpentry")
> req1     = "Woodworking"
> req2     = "Tools"
> flags    = ""

Good one!

> [advance_brickmaking]
> name     = _("Brickmaking")
> req1     = "Fire"
> req2     = "Stoneworking"
> flags    = ""

Good one!

> [advance_construction]
> name     = _("Carpentry")
> req1     = "Carpentry"
> req2     = "Brickmaking"
> flags    = ""

I have this one too, but it refers to much a simpler tech. I suggest
calling this something like 'Improved Construction'.

> [advance_mapping]
> name     = _("Mapping")
> req1     = "Writing"
> req2     = "Compass"
> flags    = ""

Good(payciv).

> [advance_navigating]
> name     = _("Navigating")
> req1     = "Mapping"
> req2     = "Astronomy"
> flags    = ""

OK (payciv)

> [advance_mathematics]
> name     = _("Mathematics")
> req1     = "Writing"
> req2     = "None"
> flags    = ""

I (and payciv) have that one too. And we also agreed on the req.

> [advance_natural_philosophy]
> name     = _("Natural Philosophy")
> req1     = "Navigation"
> req2     = "Mathematics"
> flags    = ""

Please add helptext and historytext to specify.

> [advance_physics]
> name     = _("Physics")
> req1     = "Natural Philosophy"
> req2     = "Optics"
> flags    = ""

OK (payciv)

> [advance_science]
> name     = _("Scientific Method")
> req1     = "Physics"
> req2     = "Organized Religion"
> flags    = ""

OK

> [advance_clothmaking]
> name     = _("Clothmaking")
> req1     = "Ropemaking"
> req2     = "None"
> flags    = ""

I have this one too. Your req rope makes sense.

> [advance_textiles]
> name     = _("Textiles")
> req1     = "Clothmaking"
> req2     = "Agriculture"
> flags    = ""

I have this one too. And I had one of your reqs. The other seems
superflous.

> [advance_alchemy]
> name     = _("Alchemy")
> req1     = "Natural Philosophy"
> req2     = "None"
> flags    = ""

OK

> [advance_justice]
> name    = _("Justice")
> req1    = "Philosophy"
> req2    = "None"

I have something similar.

> [advance_laws]
> name    = _("Laws")
> req1    = "Writing"
> req2    = "None"
> flags   = ""

I have this one too, with your req and an additional req.

> [advance_monarchy]
> name    = _("Monarchy")
> req1    = "Organized Religion"
> req2    = "Laws"
> flags   = ""

OK (payciv)

> [advance_const_monarchy]
> name    = _("Constitution")
> req1    = "Organized Religion"
> req2    = "Laws"
> flags   = ""

OK

Let's merge our tech trees. Let's also merge with the ancients modpack
and put in som more techs from data/default/techs.ruleset. Ancients have
some interesting techs, for example Stirrup, Horse Collar and Improved
Plow. Then we will get a fine new tech tree for Freeciv.

Erik