Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: November 2004:
[freeciv-ai] Re: AI Position of First Cities

To: Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: AI Position of First Cities
From: Ed Earl Ross <edearl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:40:07 -0600

Jason Dorje Short wrote:

Ed Earl Ross wrote:

The choice of city start positions by AI by Freeciv 2.0.0 appears incorrect.

For example, AI moved a settler from a plains-wheat f/p/t=3/1/0 tile to a grassland 2/0/0 tile before founding a city. If it had founded the city on the plains wheat tile, the total production for the city would have been plains-wheat 3/1/1 plus forest-pheasant 2/2/0 for a total of 5/3/1. After the AI move, the total production for the city was 2/0/1 plus 2/2/0 for a total of 4/2/1, which limits the production of new settlers early in the game. This fact means AI play during startup is less than optimal.

See, you found some really stupid behavior already ;-).

QA folks should never use judgmental words about developers or their code. It's not good to have fights between QA and developers.

Try to make a savegame from right before this behavior occurs, and send it to bugs@xxxxxxxxxxx.

jason

There are four settlers in the attached saved game. My comments about them, from left to right.

*Leftmost*--moves AOK

*Left-center*--??? Moves from one grassland to another, each f/p/t = 2/0/0. Looks like it is aligning itself on a diagonal with the leftmost settler. A questionable move, as it does not immediately improve production.

*Right-center*--OK. Moves twice before founding a city; thereby optimizing city growth. This is probably a good move; although, it reduces total city production.

*Rightmost*--??? Moves off plains-wheat 3/1/0 to plains 1/1/0, which cannot be the best move, as it reduces growth for no offsetting benefit.

This game is not the best example, I've seen. I'll look for another.