Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: November 2004:
[freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#10694) AI Builds Doomed Ferries and P

To: badamson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#10694) AI Builds Doomed Ferries and Passengers
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 18:38:48 -0800

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Benedict Adamson wrote:
> > Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> > > The AI need to be taught to attack more intelligently
> > > (massive attacks).
> >
> > Would you say the problem was that unit building is chosen on a
> > city-by-city basis? Is it possible to implement coordinated attacks
> > without changing to a centralised planner? I guess a centralised planner
> > would be a major change.
>
> No, I don't think we strictly need a centralised planner, but we do need a
> replacement for fstk, which is both an attack planner and a city-by-city
> unit want function.

Centralized planner (for aggressive units + bodyguards) would be nice but
not crucial.  I think it is easier to start from the other end: war target
selector.  Choose a city to attack.  Then each city could think "how can
we help the war effort".  Then add some code which makes AI accumulate
some forces rather then engage in the build-send-die-build-send-die cycle.

GB