Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: August 2004:
[freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9623) Re: terrain improvers (fwd)

To: Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9623) Re: terrain improvers (fwd)
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 09:03:34 -0700

Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:

> roads get a huge want (100 to 300)
> before amortization, road want is less then mine want
> because mines take ages to complete, they lose to roads.
>
> At the moment I don't know how to bring the want to reasonable size.
> Maybe we shouldn't.

I think roads get a huge want because they have an "extra" value.  The
current road_bonus gives a bonus of 1 for just about every tile adjacent
to another road.  This value is multiplied by 5 before being passed to
consider_settler_action, which then multiplies it by 16 or 64...

road_bonus should probably just return 0 for human players.  Connecting
cities should be left up to the human.

That said, mines will often lose to roads because they take longer.
However this is countered by the fact that they may give a bigger bonus
(+2 shields to hills, versus +1 or +2 trade for roads), and that tiles
that are in use get a x4 bonus.

jason