Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: April 2003:
[freeciv-ai] Re: Help offered, and a possible bug

To: Juhani Heino <juhani.heino@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv AI development <freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: Help offered, and a possible bug
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:44:11 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Juhani Heino wrote:

> In README it was said that AI needs to be transferred to a client,
> but these latest posts imply that so far it's done as before. So,
> is it only a future TODO with perhaps version 1.15 or even 2?
> (pun intended)

This is an issue of much debate.  We should probably start a thread and
list pros and cons there.

> > 1. Patch testing.  It sounds "easy" but it is not and it is _very_
> > important.  Currently, we need to test a couple of patches like AI
> > diplomacy (2413), new settler code and advanced rampage (4026).  Per
> > is responsible for the former two (I think you should wait for him to
> > post
> > the newest versions) and I am responsible for the rampage (needs to
> > be tested in the present form).
> >
> > 2. Reviewing patches.  Similar to 1, but also involves reading and
> > bitching about the code.  More bugs you find, more sweets you get.
>
> These at least I can do (when Per submits his). Will
> they be in the CVS snapshot? I'll have to get the latest
> edition anyway, now I have Mar31.

The patches are done against CVS.  So you download CVS code (using CVS
preferably), apply the patch, compile and test away.  Details are in How
To Contribute.

> > 3. Writing your own patches.  There are jobs to be done like 3584
> > (pretty tedious) or updating, say, find_nearest_safe_city to use
> > the new Path Finding.
>
> I won't grab these, as I'm not yet so sure of my skills, but
> if others are willing to hand them to me, it's OK. The tedious
> job probably would be good for me, to "tune me in".

We are willing to hand them to you if you are willing to take them ;) So
you choose, declare your intentions on the list (to make sure nobody else
is doing the same) and then ask questions if you get stuck.

Then you submit a patch, we bitch about the style and bugs, you fix it, we
bitch some more, you revise it some more and at some point it's going into
the CVS.