Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: May 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: long-term ai goals

To: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: long-term ai goals
From: Daniel Sjölie <deepone@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 01:49:05 +0200

On 2002-05-25 12:50:24, Per I Mathisen wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2002, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:
> > Random errors in the code are a result of poor programming, period.
> >
> > Any AI worth its salt has to deal with partial and inconsistent data.
>
> Ok, after thinking a bit about it, I agree.
>
> > So the question is, do you relax the FoW implementation in controlled
> > (i.e. optional) ways that provide game balance, do you have some other
> > strategy to deal with the issue, or do you continue to just make rude
> > noises that will keep Freeciv Artificial Intelligence an oxymoron for
> > years :-?
>
> I want a handicap/bonus system for AIs and human players alike - we need
> this to allow for omniscient AIs - and if you can manage to program a sane
> implementation of your suggested random-FoW, then I am all for putting
> that in and letting AIs that need it use it.
>
> This handicap/bonus system should be based on points values, so that an
> omniscient AI can fight a non-omniscient AI on "equal" terms. For example,
> we could say that omniscience is worth the same as 4 extra initial
> technologies or 2 extra settlers.

Yes, yes, yes!
"General handicaps" I've longed for for some time and using points (like
in MoOII) is a great twist! I think this could make very different games
possible if developed further... Eg, you could have a game where one
player has rules set that make ICS impossible but has other
advantages... How hard would it be to make it possible to set eg server
variables to different values for different players? I guess it _could_
be relatively easy but I don't know...

/Daniel

--
Now take a deep breath, smile and don't take life so seriously... :)