Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-ai: April 2002:
[freeciv-ai] Re: Approximate win_chance

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv-ai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-ai] Re: Approximate win_chance
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 13:38:22 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 08:17:47PM -0400, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:
> > At 02:02 PM 02/04/24 +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > >
> > >AFAIK the current win_chance isn't an approximation but returns the
> > >exact value. Or do I'm mistaken about that?
> >
> > If I am not mistaken, you cannot compute the exact value since that is
> > determined randomly.
>
> > And if you are only estimating the chance
>
> This is what is done.
>
> > , then "exactness" is not a particularly hard criteria - certainly
> > not the determining one.
>
> Yes the wording was bad.

Don't you fret, the wording is perfect.  The win_chance gives exact value
for the probability to win the encounter.

> > [...]
> > >
> > >As I said this would be the ideal solution. If the current win_chance
> > >returns the correct value we have to have an estimation of the error
> > >which a new win_chance will produce.
> >
> > I think the estimations have been done. They seem to indicate that the
> > 5th power solution is better than the current 2nd power one and almost
> > indistinguishable from the more explicit estimation of chances.
>
> > Since none of this really affects anything critical in the game, the
>
> And this is a question which is still unanswered for me: How do you
> (the ai developers) that a particular code construct needs the "exact"
> value (as returned by win_chance) and when does it can cope with an
> approximation (which has an average/maximal error of something)? I
> suspect that you don't do this decision based on hard facts.

Hard facts are hard to come by.  Things are not black and white,
especially in a game with such complicated rules.

You think and then you experiment.  My dissatisfaction with the performace
of the current approximation comes from my observation described in
        http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-200203/msg00741.html
The decision made by the AI is not a critical one (a missed opportunity
to inflict some damage) and if a better approximation can reduce the
number of such non-critical errors without pushing the time up, it is
good.

But all such things are rather subjective...