Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: WeatherLab virus

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: WeatherLab virus
From: Anne McCadden <ironrose@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 20:47:44 -0600

Your birthday isn't very secure because someone could easily find out
what your birthdate is.  You also shouldn't use your nickname, pet's
name, a standard dictionary word, etc.  Crackers normally attack with a
script that runs a dictionary check and in different languages, then
various configurations of your name, address, nickname, spouse's name,
birthdate, address, SS#, abcd, xyz, and anything else that would be easy
for you to remember.  5-6 character passwords can be cracked in about 30
minutes.  Passwords need to be atleast 8 characters, a mixture of upper
and lower case letters, numbers and special characters in order to be
secure.  Most of my passwords are 12-15 characters long and need to be
changed atleast every 3 months.

Do I sound paranoid?  Yes, a little.  I know some former(?) hackers and
I also know that there are people out on the internet with more time on
their hands than they know what to do with.  It is a puzzle game and a
challange to them to crack your password, some even leave text files
that let you know that they have been in your system.  ~Anne