Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: WeatherLab virus

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: WeatherLab virus
From: Robert Bottorff <robotto@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 13:54:04 -0600

maybe some were wondering where clint and jon hall's response came
from -- my original notes were sent to moderation and clint
probably let them thru, eventually, but i never saw them on
the discuss list . . . .

Jonathan Hall wrote:
> As an email address?  What does that have to do with security?  If that's
> your preference do it.  I think it's silly, personally.

it doesn't have anything to do with security -- the point is
some cracks might assume easy email address, easy password access.
i know it's not true, but there's no accounting for the silliness
out there.

> As a password?  Why not use your first name as your password, too? :)
>
> Everyone and their dog uses their birthday, or their child's birthday as
> their password.  It's a horrible idea.
>
> If I was going to try to manually hack someone's account, I'd start by using
> names of family members and birthdays as their password.

see -- silliness -- accounting for it is an awesome responsibility.

again, if you don't want spam in your mailbox,
don't respond to it ( even if you're asking to have your email address
removed from the spammer list ).

do register with abuse.net and forward any spam to them.

if this is too much then forward the spam to postmaster@<the provider's
site> with your gripes and the postmaster should take care of it.

According to the internet standard RFC822 (STD 11), all sites are
supposed to have such a mailbox.  you might have to use traceroute
on whatever you pulled off of the 'received from' line to get
to the right provider's postmaster.

rob bottorff
robotto@xxxxxxxxxxxx