Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: WeatherLab virus

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: WeatherLab virus
From: "Jonathan Hall" <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:01:44 -0600

> > > I have a few people paying me to do spam filtering for them.  (I grab
theri
> > > mail via POP3, filter it, then they fetch it from me via POP3)  If
you're
> > > interested in such a service, I could do it for you, too.  But you are
> > > geek (at least geeky enough to be on this list), so there's no reason
you
> > > shouldn't be able to do it yourself :)
> >
> > That's a cool idea I hadn't thought of! And you are right, it's a
> > simple thing to implement under Linux.
>
> Well the idea of POPing mail and then remailing it make me shudder.  I
> know a lot of people do it but give me SMTP any day over POP for moving
> mail around.  I'd recommend scanning messages before they ever get put in
> a mailbox.

Sure, when that's possible.  But when a person already has an email address
they like from a company that is incapable/unwilling to do spam/virus
filtering, you don't have much choice.

Alternately, a person could set up a forward (if their mail provider allows
it) rather than giving me their POP3 password.

And in theory, after filtering, I could simply forward the mail somewhere
else, but without some smart scripting, I couldn't forward it back to the
original mail host without creating an infinate mail loop.  And chances are,
if the original mail host will allow the proper scripting, it would be
trivial to do filtering there in the first place. :)

Nobody said POP/scan/POP was an ideal situation.  But it's workable when
it's the only option.

-- Jonathan