Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: November 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: WeatherLab virus

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: WeatherLab virus
From: "gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman)" <glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 13:58:04 -0600

yah, replying is definately a bad idea...  i've found a *few* times where=
 it's=20
actually worked (ok, i think it was 2 times)...  it was about the time wh=
en i=20
moved from my old e-mail (glandix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) to my lloydnet address,=
 so=20
i really didn't care if they sent me more spam, i just felt like bitching=
 to=20
anyone (or bot) listening :P  however 1 of those 2 times ended up in a fl=
ame=20
war (yah, i was REALLY bored!) between me and some limo service in florid=
a=20
(why would i have ANY interest in their services here in KS? haha!)...

since then, i've stopped replying to ANY spam (unless it's spam from frie=
nds,=20
and i kindly ask them to stop) and have relied soley on SpamBouncer (the=20
FreeBSD port is called spambnc) on my mail server.  it works wonderfully,=
 and=20
only very rarely filters valid e-mail (typicall forewards or mass mails f=
rom=20
people i know).  I have never used SpamAssassin, but have heard a lot abo=
ut=20
it.  I have no clue about performance comparisons b/n the two, but I have=
=20
been very pleased with it.  It's basically a really glorified procmail=20
script.  Anyway, just another option.

gLaNDix