Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: discussion: February 2002:
[aclug-L] Re: An idea -- any volunteers/helpers?

To: discussion@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-L] Re: An idea -- any volunteers/helpers?
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 11:04:41 -0600

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 10:33:31AM -0600, gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:

> Wayne,
>
> I agree whole-heartedly with your opinions...  I haven't said alot
> about the recent discussion(s) because i do'nt regularly attend meetings
> (actually, due to taking 18 credit hours, evening classes, taking care of
> my son when my wife is at work and many, many, many other higher-priority
> conflicts, i CAN'T make it)...  I think the idea of having a closed list
> is a bad one as: 1.) what if i only go on nites that interest me? i don't
> want to waste a trip to wichita if we're going to talk about "foo" and i
> really want to learn "bar"... 2.) what if someone joins the list and wants
> to know what is going on in meetings so that they can determine whether or
> not they want to attend?  3.) what if someone goes through a long period
> of time where they can't regularly attend, yet they still want to know
> what is going on in meetings?

To address these concerns:  1) The announce list will remain as-is.  So will
the discussion list.  All meeting announcements are made to BOTH of these
lists.  So you will still know what's happening at the meetings and can
decide if you want to learn about "foo" or "bar"

2) The 'local' list (as already mentioned a few times) will be publically
archived on the web.  Perhaps we can make it publically readable by email as
well, for those who prefer an email format.

3) As I mentioned in my mail just a moment ago, provisions for people who
cannot attend all meetings were discussed.  But let me reiterate NO
DECISIONS HAVE BEEN MADE.

> i think this list is very exlusive and will only add to the feeling of
<snip>

I understand why you may feel this way, but I think these feelings are based
on mis-information and bad assumptions.

If you're ready to 'give up' on ACLUG, then I will wish you the best as
well.  But I think it would be in everyone's best interest to stick with
ACLUG at least until some actual decisions are made.  Choosing not to
participate in ACLUG because a handfull of people have said things that
MAY SOND like they MAY exclude people LATER, IF certian things happen is
very premature, IMO.

Don't jump the gun.

-- Jonathan

--
Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and
years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the